WHITTON and RITCH -Surname Studies and people from the Island of GRAEMSAY, Orkney

George H McLin

George H McLin

Male 1843 - 1920  (77 years)

Personal Information    |    Notes    |    All

  • Name George H McLin 
    Born 4 Jun 1843  Kalamazoo, Michigan Find all individuals with events at this location 
    Gender Male 
    Died 17 Aug 1920  Mount Hope Cemetery, Huntingdon, Indiana, USA Find all individuals with events at this location 
    Person ID I24291  Whitton
    Last Modified 22 Jan 2019 

    Father Jacob McLin,   b. 1817,   d. 1907, Mount Hope Cemetery, Huntingdon, Indiana, USA Find all individuals with events at this location  (Age 90 years) 
    Relationship natural 
    Mother Adelaide Gage,   b. 1823,   d. 1907, Mount Hope Cemetery, Huntingdon, Indiana, USA Find all individuals with events at this location  (Age 84 years) 
    Relationship natural 
    Family ID F7293  Group Sheet  |  Family Chart

    Family 1 Belle Galligan,   b. Abt 1840 
    Married 1866 
    Children 
     1. Cleo McLin,   b. 1863,   d. 1890  (Age 27 years)  [natural]
    Last Modified 22 Jan 2019 
    Family ID F9392  Group Sheet  |  Family Chart

    Family 2 Nellie Hull,   b. Abt 1850 
    Married 1873 
    Children 
     1. Evangeline McLin,   b. Abt 1875  [natural]
    Last Modified 22 Jan 2019 
    Family ID F9393  Group Sheet  |  Family Chart

    Family 3 Adessa Simons,   b. 20 Aug 1868,   d. 20 Jan 1943, Mount Hope Cemetery, Huntingdon, Indiana, USA Find all individuals with events at this location  (Age 74 years) 
    Married 4 Jun 1891 
    Children 
     1. Ileene McLin,   b. 1892,   d. 1900, Mount Hope Cemetery, Huntingdon, Indiana, USA Find all individuals with events at this location  (Age 8 years)  [natural]
     2. DeForest McLin,   b. 12 Mar 1893, Indiana, USA Find all individuals with events at this location,   d. 19 Mar 1963, Brownsville, Cameron, Texas Find all individuals with events at this location  (Age 70 years)  [natural]
    Last Modified 22 Jan 2019 
    Family ID F9394  Group Sheet  |  Family Chart

  • Notes 
    • George H. McLin, M. D., the subject of this sketch, is a learned and
      eminent physician and surgeon, whom the people of Indiana delight to
      honor. He has won distinction in his profession both at home and abroad,
      and his profound research and successful practice along several lines of
      the healing art have brought him to the notice of prominent medical men
      of the northwest and earned for him a proud standing among the most
      distinguished of his profession in the state of Indiana.

      Dr. McLin is of Scotch descent, and traces the family history back to one
      Thomas McLean, as the name was originally spelled, who had an ancestral
      estate near Edinburg and who later ran a line of vessels between the city
      of Dublin, Ireland, and Newport News, then but a small shipping point on
      Chesapeake bay. By reason of a serious difficulty growing out of the
      misunderstanding with the governmental authorities, which resulted in the
      confiscation of one of his cargoes, Thomas McLean came to America and
      settled on a Spanish grant ten miles square, where the city of Nashville,
      Tennessee, now stands. He became a large planter and slaveholder, and in
      time accumulated much wealth. He figured prominently in the early
      history of central Tennessee during the colonial period, and left the
      impress of his strong personality indelibly stamped upon that section of
      the south. A brother, John McLean, accompanied him to the New World, but
      did not leave England, dying in one of the eastern colonies prior to the
      Revolution. On coming to America Thomas McLean, having taken the lives
      of the captain and mate of the vessel that overhauled his ship, changed
      the name to McLin, by which it has since been known. A son of the
      original Thomas McLin, also Thomas by name, was born in Nashville and
      there grew to manhood and married. He was a farmer by occupation and a
      man of sturdy character and determined will. In the prime of life he
      immigrated to the Territory of Michigan, and made a settlement at a point
      on what was known as the Prairie Rond, not far from the present city of
      Kalamazoo. At that time there were but seven white families in the
      vicinity and but one house, an insignificant log cabin, which stood on
      the site of the now flourishing city. The Potowattomie Indians held
      undisputed possession of the country, but gave the new comers no trouble
      nor caused them any uneasiness, save an occasional pilfering or driving
      away during the night some of the live stock. Thomas McLin took up a
      large tract of government land, a part of which he developed, and became
      a successful farmer. He was a member of the Society of Friends, and as
      such was greatly loved and respected by the community he founded. He
      became one of the leading factors in inducing a good class of people to
      locate in the country adjacent to Kalamazoo, and bore a distinguished
      part in the growth and development of that section of the state. He
      spent the rest of his life in Michigan, accumulated a large estate and
      died at the ripe old age of eighty. Among his children was Jacob McLin,
      father of the subject of this article. In 1830, when a small boy, Jacob
      went with his parents to Michigan and grew to maturity on the farm, with
      the rugged duties of which he early became familiar. On reaching
      manhood's estate he purchased a farm of his own and followed agricultural
      pursuits until 1896, when advancing age compelled him to retire from
      active life. Disposing of his place in that year, he came to Indiana and
      is now passing his declining years in the city of Huntington.

      Jacob McLin inherited in a marked degree the sterling qualities of his
      ancestors, and at the present time, although over eighty years of age,
      retains unimpaired many of his faculties, physical and mental. For a
      number of years he served as justice of the peace, and in many ways has
      been public spirited, always aiding any worthy enterprise for the general
      good and lending his influence to the moral and intellectual upbuilding
      of the community. He is a man of pronouncd (sic) political views,
      originally a Whig, but since the dissolution of that party he has been a
      straightout Republican with the courage of his convictions. The maiden
      name of his wife was Adelia Gage. She was born near the city of Buffalo,
      New York, and is the mother of three children: George H., Mary H., the
      wife of Richard H. Gibbs, and Luther J., the latter a practicing
      physician of St. Joseph. Michigan. Mrs. McLin is a well preserved old
      lady of seventy-eight, enjoying remarkably good health for one of her
      years. Her father, Isaac Gage, a farmer by occupation, was an early
      settler of north-western New York and a soldier of the war of 1812. He
      served with distinction throughout that struggle and earned a reputation
      for gallantry, of which in after years he felt deservedly proud. The
      Gage family is of Welsh descent, and was first represented in America
      during colonial days.

      Dr. George H. McLin was born near the city of Kalamazoo, Michigan, on the
      4th day of June, 1843. His boyhood days were spent on the home farm, and
      the public schools of the neighborhood furnished the means of his
      preliminary education. After attending the district schools until his
      fourteenth year he entered the Kalamazoo high school, where he pursued
      his studies with the object in view of preparing himself for the medical
      profession.

      Shortly after quitting school, young McLin began a course of professional
      reading under the instruction of Dr. Lyons, a well-known physician of
      Kalamazoo, and at that gentleman's death, a year later, he entered the
      office of Dr. Weyburn, continuing with him until becoming a student at
      the Occidental Medical College, of Cleveland, Ohio. After completing the
      prescribed course of that institution and receiving his diploma, the
      Doctor began practicing his profession at Buchanan, Michigan, where he
      remained two years, meeting with a fair degree of success during that
      period. Actuated by a commendable desire to add to his professional
      knowledge, he discontinued the practice for a time and entered the
      Hahnemann Medical College, Philadelphia, from which in due season he was
      graduated. For some time thereafter he did hospital practice in that
      city, and, later, animated by a laudable determination to spare no pains
      in preparing himself for his life work, became a student of the College
      of Physicians and Surgeons, Philadelphia, completing the full course and
      then resumed practice. In 1880 Dr. McLin selected Huntington as a
      favorable location, and since that date has made this city the
      headquarters of his active professional labors. Realizing the necessity
      of still further instruction, the Doctor visited Europe in 1887, and
      entered The Royal Infirmary at Edinburg as a student of Ophthalmology,
      under Dr. Keith, also taking a course in abdominal surgery under
      Professor Bantock, of London, one of the world's most distinguished
      specialists. Taking advantage of every opportunity while abroad to
      increase his knowledge and broaden his professional views, he took a
      special course in diseases of the nose and throat under instruction of
      the world-renowned Dr. Lenox Brown, of London. Subsequently he continued
      his abdominal studies in Paris with Prof. Pean, of the Saute Hospital,
      and before leaving that city took a course in the treatment of nervous
      diseases at Salpatrie Hospital, under the direction of the celebrated Dr.
      Charcot, spending altogether a little over a year in these lines of
      special research.

      Fortified with the profound knowledge thus gained, Dr. McLin returned to
      Huntington and again took up the practice of medicine, meeting with a
      success commensurate with the time, means and study expended in
      broadening the area of his professional thought. After two years he
      concluded to make another trip to the Old World for the purpose of
      further studying the eye. He pursued his research in this line under the
      faculty of the Royal Ophthalmic Hospital at London, England, and after
      completing the course entered upon, spent some time in the Middlesex
      Hospital College, where he made further advances in the theory and
      practice of his profession.

      Returning to the United States with a mind well stored with a knowledge
      of the latest discoveries in medical science, the Doctor resumed practice
      at Huntington and continued the same with eminent success until 1894,
      when he again visited Europe, for the purpose of additional review.
      During his third visit abroad, he visited a number of colleges, hospitals
      and institutions of various kinds, attending lectures, witnessing
      delicate operations, reviewing class work, and meeting on terms of close
      personal friendship a number of the most distinguished professional men
      of the century. At the expiration of seven very busy months he once more
      sought the shores of his native land, and since that time has carried on,
      in connection with his practice, the manufacture of a medical drink
      called "Kolatona," a discovery of his own combining many curative
      properties, besides being a most agreeable and refreshing beverage. This
      discovery has already a national reputation, and to meet the constantly
      increasing demands for it from all parts of the country, the Doctor has
      erected a large laboratory in Huntington, besides establishing, up to the
      present time, twenty additional plants in various parts of the United
      States. So rapidly has "Kolatona" grown in favor and so satisfactory has
      it proven as a nourishing and curative agent, that the Doctor is now
      compelled to devote the greater part of his attention to its preparation.
      Financially, the enterprise has far surpassed the expectations of all
      concerned in its manufacture, and the business promises to become of
      colossal magnitude at no distant day.

      Dr. McLin was first married in 1866 to Belle Galligan, who bore him one
      child, Cleo, married ------------ Bourdon and died at the age of
      twenty-three, leaving two children, Bessie and Glenn. The second
      marriage of the Doctor was in 1873, to Nellie Hull, by whom he had one
      child, Evangeline, who became the wife of William Christman, of Wabash.
      By his third marriage, which was solemnized with Adessa Simons, the
      Doctor is the father of two children, Ileene, deceased, and DeForest.
      While a Republican in politics, Dr. McLin has always been too deeply
      engaged in his profession to give much time or attention to political
      matters. Fraternally he is a Mason of high degree, having the honor to
      hold membership with Kilwinning Lodge, No. 2, Edinburg, Scotland, the
      second oldest organization of the kind in the world. He was made a Mason
      by special dispensation while visiting Edinburg, by the Prince of Wales,
      now King Edward, and feels proud of the distinction thus conferred upon
      him by the above ancient body. He is also identified with the Pythian
      Brotherhood, belonging to Lodge No. 93, of Huntington.

      Dr. McLin's career, as outlined in the preceding paragraphs, shows him to
      be the peer of any of his professional associates of northern Indiana.
      To prepare himself for his noble calling time, means and opportunities
      have been utilized that suffering humanity might be benefited; he has
      traveled long and far to sit at the feet of the world's great masters in
      the healing art. The old adage that a prophet is without honor in his
      own country seems to lack verification in the case of Dr. McLin. For
      many years Huntington has been the scene of his professional labors, and
      here he has been honored as highly as has ever fallen to the lot of a man
      of his years. As physician and surgeon none stands higher, and with a
      devotion rarely equalled (sic) and never excelled he pushed to successful
      conclusion the most profound research and explored every avenue of wisdom
      within the scope of his power. His practice, embracing a wide range, has
      been eminently successful, professionally and financially, while his
      reputation as a man and citizen has always been above criticism.

      All of his enterprises have been crowned with encouraging success and
      from the beginning he has impressed all with whom he has come in contact
      as a man of strict integrity, strong character, vigorous personality and
      possessing a will that hesitates at no difficulties however formidable.
      Although determined in all his undertakings, he is genial and popular and
      has drawn around him many warm friends. He is one of Huntington counties
      most distinguished citiens (sic), and one of Indiana's eminent
      professional men.

      Huntington Press
      Wed., Aug. 18, 1920
      Dr. George H. McLin died Tuesday morning at his home, 674 East Market street after a lond illness. He was seventy-seven years of age, and had practiced medicine in this city from 1880 tothe time of his retirement from active practice several years ago because of ill health. The funeral services will be held at the home Thursday afternoon at 3 o'clock.
      He was born to Jacob and Adelia McLin in Kalamazoo, Mich., June 4, 1834. He is survived by the widow, one son, DeForest of this city;a daughter, Mrs. William Christman of Wabash, Ind.; and two grandchildren, Mrs. Ward S. Williams of New Richmond and Glen Boardon of Des Moines, Ia. Two daughters are dead.
      Dr. McLin studied for three years at London, Paris and Edinburgh and held degrees from the following American medical colleges: Occidental College of Cleveland, Haberman College of Philadelpia ; Jefferson College of Philadelphia and the College of Physicians and Surgeons of the same city. He was a member of the Pythian Brotherhood lodge of this city.
      Members of the K of P lodge will meet at 8 o'clock tonight at the home to make arrangements to attend the funeral in a body.
      Funeral services for D. G. H. McLin were held at 3:30 o'clock Thursday at the residence on East Market street. The Rev. Elmer Ward Cole officiated. Music was furnished by F. S. Bash, Eldon Ware, R. G. Mitchell and Horace Weese. Pallbearers were O. E. Bradley, John Strodel, E. B. Ayers, H. E. Rosebrough, L. H. Jackman, Dr. G. M. O'Leary, Dr.R. F. Frost and William Swartz. Burial was in Mt. Hope cemetery. Members of the Knights of Pythias conducted rites at the grave.