WHITTON and RITCH -Surname Studies and people from the Island of GRAEMSAY, Orkney

John Jervis Barnard

John Jervis Barnard

Male 1888 - 1954  (66 years)

Personal Information    |    Notes    |    All

  • Name John Jervis Barnard 
    Born 1888  Kings Norton, Birmingham, Warwickshire Find all individuals with events at this location 
    Gender Male 
    Died 14 Jan 1954  Tredwills, Blockley, Gloucestershire Find all individuals with events at this location 
    Person ID I20711  Whitton
    Last Modified 16 Oct 2019 

    Father John Barnard,   b. Abt 1860 
    Relationship natural 
    Mother Alice Elizabeth Beale,   b. 1864, Birmingham, Find all individuals with events at this location,   d. Aft 1911  (Age > 48 years) 
    Relationship natural 
    Married 1884  Kings Norton Find all individuals with events at this location 
    Family ID F8406  Group Sheet  |  Family Chart

    Family Hilda Sarah Rose Whitton,   b. 1893, Kings Norton, Birmingham, Warwickshire Find all individuals with events at this location 
    Married 13 Apr 1911  Christ Church Aston, Warwickshire Find all individuals with events at this location 
     1. Hilda M Barnard,   b. 1912, Birmingham, Warwickshire Find all individuals with events at this location,   d. 1915, Kings Norton, Birmingham, Warwickshire Find all individuals with events at this location  (Age 3 years)  [natural]
    Last Modified 16 Oct 2019 
    Family ID F8402  Group Sheet  |  Family Chart

  • Notes 
    • 1901 census at 40 Ryland Road, Edgebaston, Warwickshire

      WW1 enlisted in Coldstream Guards 31-10-1916 address 35 Alexander Road, Edgebaston wife Hilda Sara Rose Barnard
      Electoral Register 1936 235 Seadepool Farm Road, Ashwood Bank plus a Dorothy Whitton
      1954 at death left £5250 to Dorothy Eades.

      John, Colin Askham, and Bill Hughes were friends who had worked together as Post Office messenger boys in Manchester. It was whilst looking for a new money-making idea that Moores came across John Jervis Barnard, a Birmingham man who had latched onto the public's growing passion for two things: football and betting. Moores had always been an avid football fan from when he was very young. He played amateur football himself until retiring at the age of 40. Sports of all kinds had always interested him.

      Barnard had devised a 'football pool', where punters would bet on the outcome of football matches. The payouts to winners came from the 'pool' of money that was bet, less 10 per cent to cover "management costs". It had not been particularly successful. Clearly, Barnard was struggling to make a profit. Moores got hold of a Barnard pools coupon, and the three Manchester friends decided they could – and would – do it better.

      They could not let their employers, the Commercial Cable Company, know what they were doing, or they would be fired. No outside employment was allowed. That ruled out calling it the John Moores Football Pool, or anything like it. Moores recalled years later: "Calling it the John Smith's football pool sounded a bit dodgy". The solution to that particular problem came from Colin Askham. He had been orphaned as a baby and been brought up by an aunt whose surname was Askham, but he had been born Colin Henry Littlewood. And so, in 1923, the Littlewood Football Pool – as it was called originally – was started.

      Each of the three partners invested £50 of their own money into the venture, and with the help of a small, discreet and cheap printer they got to work. In 1923, £50 was a huge sum to invest in what – based on Barnard's experience – was a precarious venture, and as Moores himself remembered: "As I signed my own cheque at the bank, my hands were damp. It seemed such a lot of money to be risking". A small office in Church Street, Liverpool, was rented and the first 4,000 coupons were distributed outside Manchester United's Old Trafford ground before one Saturday match that winter. Moores handed the coupons out himself, helped by some young boys eager to earn a few pennies.

      It was not an instant success. Only 35 coupons came back. Bets totalled £4 7s 6d, and the 10 per cent deducted did not even cover the three men’s expenses. They needed to take the idea to another level, and quickly. So they decided to print 10,000 coupons, and took them to Hull, where they were handed out before a big game. This time, only one coupon was returned. Their venture was about to collapse almost as soon as it had begun. In the canteen of the Commercial Cable Company, the three partners had a hushed conversation. It was a crisis meeting. They had kept pumping money into the fledgling business, but midway through the 1924-25 football season it was still losing money. The three young men were each £200 lighter in the pocket, with no prospect of things improving. Bill Hughes suggested they cut their losses and forget the whole thing. Colin Askham agreed. They could see why John Jervis Barnard's idea of a football pool had failed in Birmingham. They expected Moores to concur, but instead he said: "I'll pay each of you the £200 you've invested, if you'll sell me your shares". Moores admitted that he considered giving up on the business himself, but was encouraged by his wife, who told him "I would rather be married to a man who is haunted by failure rather than one haunted by regret". Moores kept faith and he paid Askham and Hughes £200 each. In 1928, Moores' younger brother Cecil devised a security system to prevent cheating. Eventually the pools took off, becoming one of the best-known names in Britain.

      Capt J J Barnard of the Coldstream Guards established the first football pool in 1922. Parimutual Pools of Birmingham sold out to Copes Pools in 1938.